PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA SEP revalidation by exp. microlights
Old 18th Feb 2021, 17:42
Forfoxake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I emailed the LAA for clarification and to ask about the possibility of revalidating my NPPL (SSEA). The Head of Licensing has commented:

"For the foreseeable future, his LAPL should give him the same privilege of flying G registered aircraft in UK airspace on a Medical Declaration, albeit having to fulfil the slightly higher medical requirements for a PART-21 licence declaration (the sub 5700kg requirements). The LAPL also allows him to fly PART-21 aircraft (previously known as EASA aircraft) which the NPPL currently does not allow."

If this is confirmed, it means that any LAPL holder flying on a sub 2000kg PMD will have to cancel it and make a new sub 5700kg PMD (if able) to fly any aircraft even if (like me) they only wish to continue to fly non-part 21 aircraft up to 2000kg in UK airspace. This is nonsense but before I write a sharp letter to Grant Shapps, does anyone have any comments?

Of course, some LAPL holders will have (like me) the option to revalidate their NPPL and continue to fly on a sub 2000kg PMD.

However, if (like me) they have not had their NPPL rating validity page signed by an examiner every two years, they can only renew their NPPL by a General Skills Test with an examiner and if it has expired by more than 5 years (like me), that Test includes an oral theoretical knowledge examination.

And this appears to apply even if (like me!) they have satisfied all the normal NPPL (SSEA) rating flight time and training flight with an instructor validity conditions in SEPs on a LAPL(A).

"

Last edited by Forfoxake; 18th Feb 2021 at 17:56.