PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sacked LGBT veterans can reclaim removed medals
Old 16th Feb 2021, 16:00
Richard Dangle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can predict that this new initiative will be the tip of another 'iceberg' along the lines of females being forced out on pregnancy.
Back when this kicked off (mid nineties ish) I echoed your thoughts at the time. The fact that this has not happened to date (and assuming cases have not been settled "silently") suggests to me that there is a legal difference. To be clear - I'm not in anyway an expert and I'm just speculating....happy to be corrected by those in the know.

As I understood it at the time, the pregnancy issue was a huge foot shooting exercise by the MOD because it was acting in flagrant contradiction of the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 and continued to do so despite being advised of the consequences. One WRAF of my aquaintance wrote a lengthy and researched letter to the Staish on the subject only to get a memo back from OC WRAF telling here to wind her neck in or she'll get a fizzer. Smart lass kept said memo and produced it at her tribunal...no doubt adding some more noughts to the settlement.

I guess ???? the legal circumstances must be different for LGBT veterans...as I don't recall reading of such outcomes for them???