PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uni or not? (Merged 2013)
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2021, 19:39
Olympia463

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here I must agree again with Genghis. I differ about the 'rusty' comment though . A degree teaches you [b]how to learn - any degree will do. Learning a 'trade' as a back up should professional flying turn sour for any reason (health, passing tests, downturn, etc) is not as good as having the degree, even if it might be a quicker way into a job, when the ordure hits the ventilator. Having demonstrated your capability to learn fast by having a degree, will always be a better route to safety. In any case any degree is swiftly outdated, but the key thing that is not, is the learning skill. I reckon my first class degree in engineering was out of date in less than ten years from graduation, but by then I was well on my way up the management ladder.

Having a 'trade' as well as a degree worked wonderfully for me when I was made redundant by the collapse of the company I was in. Having been trained in my youth as a draughtsman I was back in the building I had just left the following week, as a contract draughtsman to get some jobs finished to help the administration team complete a contract and get some cash in for the creditors. I had been a Chief Designer in the outfit which went bust. Six weeks later I re-mustered in my proper rank in another firm. The taxman said it would not be worth his while to collect income tax for the six weeks as well!