PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Covid on Trident Patrol Submarine
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2021, 16:50
dicorpo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFSGrad
“They had little chance to escape the bug while working in hot and cramped conditions.”

This was a Vanguard-class submarine, not a Type VII U-boat. A large, modern submarine such as the Vigilant is neither cramped nor hot. Unless working in the propulsion spaces, a crew member is likely to be wearing a sweater or coat.

As for the claim of higher viral load risk, the opposite might be true. A modern submarine has a robust, high-filtration ventilation system that would rapidly dilute any airborne virus.

“It was a calculated risk.” And the risk was very low.
I used to work on Vigilant for a good few years. Space wise its not cramped for a submarine but by normal standards it would be for sure. I used to hot bunk for my first couple of patrols (share a bed with an opposite number) just to give some perspective and there's obviously no social distancing. You wont be wearing a coat or a jumper, usually just a t shirt on patrol. As for the ventilation its very good but its recycled through charcoal filters so not sure if that would stop it. Generally the crew trains a lot as well which crash stops ventilation and stops air moving which makes things get very hot and humid very quickly. I can see how it could become a nightmare pretty quickly to be honest.