PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Most distinctive and charismatic engine sound?
Old 13th Feb 2021, 03:05
Stuka Child

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gileraguy
I'm going to nominate the JT8D in the B727 as the most distinctive sound, due to the fact that when a 727 was approaching or departing Adelaide Airport (when such things were allowed) one didn't have to look out the window to identify the aircraft type

Recently heard the audio of a Bristol Centaurus engined Sea Fury idling and it sounds EXACTLY like a 1973 Torana GTR XU1 (race homologation special) with a 3.3l pushrod i6 and triple strombergs. EXACTLY. A big "cammy" high compression racing engine soundsound (with of course NO cams).

And I always get a laugh out of seeing people talking on the flight deck or cockpit of a piston engined AC in films. Even in the cargo area of a C130...
Heheh beat me to it! The 737-200s we have out here also have JT8Ds - people often mistake them for turbojets because of the cigar shape and the shameless noise. They are absolutely obscene when heard from outside. Glorious music to anyone's ears, they sound like a dragon wants to eat your soul, you feel the violence in your body. And keep in mind, these ones have silencer kits on them.

Another great spirit in this thread mentioned the Hawker Hunter also. That one straight up makes me weep with emotion.