PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-3
Thread: Southend-3
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2021, 20:52
DC3 Dave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All too often views are being posted that suggest that Covid19 should have been spotted in advance and decisions made accordingly.

Fact is that at the 2019 peak, easyJet, Ryanair and Flybe (franchise) had bases at SEN. Air Malta and Loganair had at least been willing for a period and others like Flyone and Wideroe were happy to join London’s fastest growing (%) airport.

Now I get an uneasy feeling about EZY. I get the impression that Brady wanted them to sign up to paying their way after their 10 year honeymoon. If they didn’t (in my view) it was suggested that Ryanair would move in and grab most of the best part of the best part of a million pax that the orange airline served.

To Brady and the board SEN had become a numbers game. They all believed they had it in the bag. 2.5 million pax rapidly growing to 4 million + triggering off a feeding frenzy that would end up with a buyer who would see the opportunity for profit rather than questioning why profit had proved so illusive so far.

But they were so close.

Now, well they should have thought of themselves as the owners of a handily located small regional airport. Is that the collective wisdom?