PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer XV345
Thread: Buccaneer XV345
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2021, 12:13
walbut

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The Buccaneer windscreen wiper system file was about 2 inches thick and often used to reside on my desk. If you could read through it now, you would be able to see a distinct cyclic pattern with a wavelength of about 3 years. The crews in RAFG would complain about the difficulty of cleaning flies from the windscreen in the summer when flying low over the German plains. This was fed back to MoD in the UK who approached HSA for advice. On the first cycle we did a feasibility study and concluded the wiper motor was not powerful enough to drive the wiper above 450 knots and talked to Dunlop (I think) about uprating it. This was likely to be expensive and difficult and this was fed back to MoD. MoD then spoke to RAFG and got a response that there was no problem, either because it was now midwinter, or the original complainant had been posted. HSA were advised no action would be taken. The next summer, the cycle starts all over again.with new people in the MoD and RAFG part of the loop..........
I don't think snaking the aircraft with the rudder to spread the washer fluid was implicated in the XV345 accident. Although I am not a structural expert, I seem to remember rolling pull ups and the extended wing tips played a bigger part of the increased fatigue damage seen by the RAF fleet.
The timescale for modifications progressing from requirement to solution could be embarrassingly long and both MoD and HSA had to share responsibility. I remember being surprised to discover someone in Electrical Labs was still working on a system to automatically synchronise aileron droop and tailplane flap 6 months after the aircraft was retired from RAF service.