PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2021, 03:59
sunnySA

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
In the spirit of your post GF, what is to be done?

We have competing interests to be balanced:

-RPT
-GA/RAA
-Military.

We have an aviation culture in Australia that is toxic and far too dictatorial that is not used to compromise and win/win behaviour.

We have a risk averse, legalistic public service:

AIrservices has an imposed profit motive.

....And an inefficient, unjust, unreasonable and criminal justice based regulatory environment.

To quoute the punchline from the old Irish joke: "Well frankly I wouldn't start from here".
Did we have all these problems when it was DCA? To quote a former colleague (RIP), "maybe the best outcome is for the worst outcome to occur" (and yes g_f, we are better than this), the AsA imposed profit distorts good public policy and better safety outcomes. And, yes, many within the Industry (and of course, many now outside the Industry) have been victim of a "criminal justice based regulatory environment".

I doubt much will change via pprune, may it may prompt some discussions elsewhere, it may prompt an individual to ask a series of coherent questions and seek responses that led to a positive change. One pebble at a time, one stone at a time grasshopper.

I think CASA has been remarkably silent throughout this. Clearly they should be the ones who decide (with Industry, with extensive consultation) the services to be provided and AsA (or another provider) provides them, whether they be Class A, B, C, D, E, F or G, whether they be a provided from a en-route Centre, an Approach Unit, a Control Tower (with our without radar surveillance), a CAGRO or a pie cart using semaphore or SMS messages (think about that for a moment).

And hopefully we can then have an aviation culture in Australia that is gentle, that is safe and can handle mature discussions based on facts, data and the best of intentions and the best safety outcomes, the best environmental outcomes and the best financial outcomes.