PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southampton-3
Thread: Southampton-3
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2021, 15:00
TCAS FAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at E190 ops, based upon a total length of 36.24M and a fin height of 10.57 metres it may be possible to accommodate them nose in on Stands 8-12. Stands 6-7 are restricted by the baggage make-up area so probably non-starters.

Since the apron was constructed the ICAO obstacle clearance requirements for Code 3/4 runways has become slightly more liberal due to the runway strip width having been reduced from 150 to 140 metres. Extending out from this at a 1:7 gradient is the Transitional Surface (aka “sideslope”). This is the limiting obstacle clearance requirement for nose-in parking on Stands 6-14.

The strip width reduction (assuming that a Stand is at the same elevation as the point that its centreline meets the runway centreline) will buy an extra 1.42M fin height at the back of Stand. By adjusting the Stand markings/indicator boards, removing/reducing ground equipment bays, extension of Stand 12 definitely possible, although may mean moving the boundary fence into that part of the original short-term park that they didn’t multi storey. That would of course provide replacement storage area for ground equipment, currently used for hire car parking. Such mods may even permit larger aircraft.

Even if complete avoidance of the Transitional Surface is not possible it may be possible to secure CAA approval for nose-in parking due to the temporary nature that the fin presents, something that I believe may have already been secured for parking of E jets and larger on Stand 5.

From what I remember of the multi-decking of the Short Term, the folly of which I have banged on about in past posts, due to the way it is constructed it is unlikely to be economically viable to modify to provide additional Stand length for B737/A320 nose-in. That said Stand 12 may be viable due to the ability to move the fence.

The only other factor that could come into play is that the bearing strength of the apron on Stands 5-14 is considerably less than 1-4. Hopefully not another construction shortcut that will come back and bite.

Last edited by TCAS FAN; 15th Feb 2021 at 09:57.