PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2021, 02:22
Pinky1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
I don't think Airservices has thought this out. The proposed airspace has to include at least half the GA, RAA and SAAA aircraft fleet.

Furthermore the devil is in the detail: "Leveraging new technology" is code for mandatory ADSB out, however that requires at least a $3000+ high integrity GPS whether you want to (or are permitted to) use Class C Airspace or not.

...And you can stick the Sky Echo where there is no echo - all I see when I look at one is a future E-tag. I'll bet Airservices has a plan to charge everyone for the "privilege" of using airspace.

I do not buy the safety case for one minute either.
3000 bucks is not much to spend to upgrade 1970s control panels to the 21st century. Put one in my lightie and amazingly ATC can see me and RPT can see me. And all for under 4000 dollars. My flying school also upgraded their fleet. A small reprioritisation of funds but a huge leap in safety for me, my family and other aircraft in my vicinity (unless the can't afford to fit it. - hmm saved money by not having transponder or ADSB wonder if their last words would be oh @#$% wish I had. bought the ADSB!).