PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airservices Class E changes
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2021, 02:04
Pinky1987

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airmanship

Originally Posted by Dick Smith
The fatalities at Coffs and Mangalore should have resulted in an announcement by CASA. After all, they are the safety regulator.

There was no requirement for them to remain silent for the extensive time that the ATSB will take to complete the reports.

To get E to work at low levels will require new CASA approved regulations for ATCs and pilots.

I see not the slightest hint that there is any individual at CASA who will get the support from the top to bring in and “sell” these changes.

The lower E was to come in about 18 years ago. Despite the fatalities at Benalla and Mangalore CASA says nothing!
Hi Dick
Did you read the ATSB report on the mooney accident. I have been denied clearances from time to time but I have been licenced to fly, in receipt of weather and carried navigation equipment and current AIRAC maps to guarantee a safe plan B. Denial of a clearance does not and never should lead to this type of accident. The pilot should not have been in the air without a current licence and no planning or equipment.
also, the aircraft I own is fitted with a low cost ADSB. This is a small price to pay for my safety and the safety of others. I know pilots who say the can't afford it but they are happy to spend 3 or 4 grand on a holiday or new aircon for their house. Priorities? Airmanship? Do you really need the regulator to mandate common sense in such a safety critical transport system?