PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Linton on Ouse : The end of an era
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2021, 19:53
2 TWU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a QFI on 2 Sqn from 74-77, very happy times. We were blessed by 2 very good CFIs who sheltered us from the strange ideas of a non QFI Stn Cdr during that time. In later years, it was always gratifying to meet ex studes who were mostly very appreciative of the instruction and general attitude of Linton.

The infamous hold for studes in 75 was caused by a 6 month halt to new courses starting as the MoD went through one of it’s periodic crises. At the time, we had 2 studes per course from an African nation, these guys should have done 2 years at their equivalent of Cranwell, 40 hours in the Bulldog, proficiency in English etc. The MoD offered to said nation we can do a lot more in the next 6 months, send what you’ve got. Absolute carnage, no adherence to the qualifications at all, as it transpired some of the guys were signed on into the Air Force on the plane into the UK, hence the creation of a Bulldog training set up based at Dishforth. The ‘ladies of the night’ in York have never had such a profitable time, the guardroom had a slush fund to call for taxis in the early hours at weekends. Every month, a man from the Embassy appeared with a shed load of cash for the guys. Entertaining to say the least.

Two of my most exciting moments were courtesy of the remnants of these guys. Doing an Intermediate Handling Test on one, as he raised the nose to get airborne, he managed to apply a considerable amount of brake via the toe pedal to the left wheel, I just managed to take it and lift off before we took to the grass. On airborne examination, the tyre looked like an old style three penny bit but stayed in one piece on landing a few minutes later. As we rolled to a very shakey full stop, his only question was ‘oh Sir, did I pass’.

At one time, the main runway was closed for resurfacing so we used the short whatever the wind. On a final landing, my stude smacked it on the numbers and bounced ( not easy in a JP). He then jammed both feet hard on the brake pedals which fortunately I could see on the brake pressure gauge. In a JP 3, going downhill at below touchdown speed and throttle closed was not comfortable, a few well chosen, rapidly delivered words of advice just worked, I watched the brake pressure dribble off just before we hit the ground the second time. It was all good for soul.