PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The next CASA CEO/DAS
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2021, 19:24
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Dre and Galah. Actually its the other way around. There is a very active and visible "Old Girls Club" that constantly lobbies on behalf of women in management and politics. You read their whines all the time in the press. There are also mentoring programs and a lot of personal lobbying. This is regarded as virtuous - aimed at breaking the "glass ceiling".

There is no equivalent in the world of men. Clubs don't do it and haven't for at least 40 years by my experience. The only male mentoring I've seen is associated with the Rhodes scholarship program.

I've tried mentoring a brilliant female once. She didn't work for my part of the business but she had obvious talent. I tried promoting her achievements and to make a career step for her. One of my female Directors took a personal dislike to the girl and shut me down. Today I wouldn't even dare try - too much chance of getting accused of workplace sexual harassment.

As for choosing leaders, I am now of the belief that the MBA "Scientific management" school of thought is a waste of time. Experience has taught me that you CANNOT successfully manage something you have no experience of, no matter how slavishly you follow procedures and policies and all the other theories in vogue that day. You need actual hands on experience. Not necessarily very much but exposure to the way the business works.

I would hope the lady in question has enough experience to do the job. It sounds to me that she should.