PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final Report: April 2018 737 high speed aborted TO
Old 29th Jan 2021, 12:54
olster

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Reluctantly I will join the fray. The incident in question was not at night time. The weather was fine (no thunderstorms). To reject a take off after V1 is wrong as per both main manufacturers guidance, backed up by industry and regulation. As already pointed out, rto beyond V1 in the simulator will end in repeat, retest or fail. Why? Statistically go minded has been proven the safer option as per Boeing FCOM / FCTM / QRH guidance material. But hey, what do they know compared to the armchair experts who have already proven that they are unaware of the industry definition of V1. It is not decision speed as previously understood from the 90s.

The report has been translated from another language and there are some ambiguous issues through translation. The accident report does not say that the decision was correct. National air accident reports are compelled not to apportion blame. It was the captain’s view post event. To reject post V1 and even then not conduct the rto properly is not role model performance even though apparently it is offensive to call it incompetent. Go figure.

I am only contributing in order to correct all the misleading rubbish that appears here. In the unlikely event of a current younger B737 pilot reading this and debating even in their own mind whether it is acceptable to reject post V1 because of an incident in an HS748 at Stansted 30 years ago.Dangerous and misleading. I have got 25 years of flying B737s and been a TRE for 27.Also flown out of KTM many times. Sorry for the willy waving but I just want to emphasise that the report describes an incorrect manoeuvre. I do not want to hang out the PIC to dry; we all make mistakes and we can learn from them. Cheers.

Last edited by olster; 29th Jan 2021 at 15:34.