PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2021, 21:59
BFM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dagenham
On the subject of doctors. The degree is five years, the first three or four ( can’t remember now ) gains a BA or BSc medicine and the last year the MD I seem to remember

it seems the army is possibly the biggest culprit my father told me a tale of a cruise they went on a couple of years ago, with a gentlemen who insisted on being called captain all the time and was generally an arse... hat on no talking etc which meant little to those around him.

anyhoo one evening at the bar he swanned over to pops, who enquired which ship he commmaded hoping for a tail or two. He then replied that he was a captain in the royal logistics core. Pops commented that it really wasn’t the done thing to go on about your rank below major. To which the Captain got a tad upset and after which my father request he call him Sir on every occasion and afford him all the privileges of being a Retired Major or alternatively he could drop all this and be on first name basis...... it soon stopped
Completely wrong, I'm sorry to say. The medical degree stands alone as MB BS (or BCh) bachelor of medicine, bachelor of surgery, but if you do an intercalated degree it's a BSc normally. You do it in just one year. MD is the US equivalent. However if you qualify in Oxford or Cambridge you get a free MA too! After qualifying you may go on to further qualifications such as FRCS.
​​​