PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2021, 05:52
taxydual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sometimes it can be useful. Many years ago, my oppo and myself were in a pub in the Chilterns, having a quiet drink. We were interrupted by a short, but portly, man in a state of alcoholic refreshment. He was a retired Squadron Leader and obviously had picked up the fact that oppo and myself were currently serving.

The Sqn Ldr (Retd) then proceeded to bore the pants of us with his 'swing the lamp' stories. After 20 minutes of oppo and self mumbling "Really" and "Interesting" every so often, we were then further joined by a tall, grey haired but very distinguished gentleman. He apologised for the interruption and told the Sqn Ldr (Retd) that one of two of his stories were wrong. The Sqn Ldr (Retd) took umbrage at this and drawing himself up to his full 5ft 4" height, declared that he was Sqn Ldr so and so and what did the newcomer know about the Royal Air Force. "Well" replied the newcomer "I'm Air Chief Marshal Sir Christopher Foxley-Norris".

Exit the Sqn Ldr (Retd) , at a fair rate of knots, blustering about "Lunch" and "Mustn't be late etc". After he had gone, Sir Christopher again apologised for the interruption, offered to buy both of us a drink (which we declined) and announced his departure. On donning his overcoat, he turned to us and said "I cannot stand bores". He wished us well and left.

Last edited by taxydual; 25th Jan 2021 at 07:10.