PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Using Rank on Retirement
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2021, 11:55
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
An acquantainces dad who has the rank, titles and the odd visit to the palace that could have been been added to his name never did.

During retirement in a Hampshire small town in the 90's he was known as "Dave" down the pub. A long bank holiday weekend when down there in his garden a daughter in law questioned about why he would not use his rank etc. It appears she wanted to boast of dad in law was xxxxx etc.

He thought about it for a second and said, 1st weekend I moved here I went to the pub, landlord asked my name and I said "David ............", I got asked David or Dave. I said "Dave" and that is what I have been known as ever since. They care whether I turn up to the pub for a quiz night and whether I help at the village fete.................. what I did before they know some of but I am still "Dave".

He had old money, quite a bit as well, but never gave the impression he had loads of it because he didn't believe in showing it. It was a virtue they instilled in the kids as well.

He would never condemn people using titles / rank but viewed it personally as I am "Dave / David or Mr", I don't need anything else because the people I am really important to already have titles for me "Husband / Dad / Uncle / Grandpa or Dave".