PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mooney accident pilot refused a clearance at 6,500'
Old 24th Jan 2021, 09:38
Lookleft

Received 192 Likes on 88 Posts
I was speaking in more general terms about ATSB reports, LL. You know that.
Sorry LB I missed the nuance in your post as it did refer to this thread

ATSB - like some in this thread - have no concern about throwing pilots under the bus.
I take your point about whether a clearance would have been available had the trainee or the OTJI had known the pilot behind the call sign. Its an unfortunate aspect of human nature that mates are treated differently to others. Its not just ATC however. How many policeman have been let off a speeding fine with a nod and a wink. Someone I know is more likely to get the jump seat than a random from the Group.

The ability to just say no is also available to the pilot. Words like "negative" "unable" and "require" are all in the vocab and can be used by pilots of all levels. It took me three times on one occasion before the Departures Controller understood I was not going to take the tracking instruction that would take me and my 180 passengers and crew through a cell. When I was a freshly minted NVFR PPL coming into Canberra in a 210 with pouring rain and wisps of cloud in the hills ATC wanted me to take a vector towards Black Mountain Tower. "Unable" was the reply. They then wanted me to do an orbit. "Unable" was the reply. They then gave me a CTL on 12.

That flight taught me a lot about who is in control. Checking my log book I had a grand total of 170 hours. The current system is neither safe or perfect as any time I fly into Ballina reminds me. As it stands though Ballina suits GA as there is no Tower, Coffs suits RPT as there is a Tower. Which is safer? It depends on your perspective. In both circumstances the pilot has to operate in the environment that they are not comfortable with and mitigate as far as possible any risks to their operation.