PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Intensive PPL
Thread: Intensive PPL
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2021, 16:09
Gul75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks to everyone for your very helpful replies.

It seems the consensus is that two weeks is far too short and that for an intensive option somewhere around 10 hours a week could be more doable.

Without going into great detail on my personal circumstances, unless I take time off (could take probably 3 weeks) I would only be able to fly once a week maybe twice but I can easily see there being times where I couldn't fly for 3/4 weeks.

Taking that into account and trying to get the best balance between efficiency and quality of training, would it be a reasonable plan to do the following -

Do the theory exams in advance
Take somewhere from 3-4 weeks to do training intensively (10 hours a week or so) at a European location where good weather is a better probability than in Ireland, build up somewhere from 30-40 hours.
Finish off the remaining time flying weekly in Ireland on a weekly basis (or as often as I reasonably can) and take the test here.

My thinking here is that this will allow me to build some level of proficiency in a short amount of time as well as build up a good number of hours before returning to finish off the licence in a location that will be more typical of where I would be flying regularly and presumably also experiencing weather I would more often encounter while flying in Ireland.

The downside I can see is the changing of instructors, aircraft and location will take some time to get used to but I am still thinking this could be a more efficient way than flying once week (or less) over a longer time period.

The other option I guess would be to simply do the first number of hours in Ireland and then finish off the training in the more intensive manner.

If anyone has any time to give any advice on how these plans sound I would really appreciate it. And again thank you very much for your replies so far.