PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Valley & Missile Practice Camps
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2021, 14:31
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
22 Jul 1982 Phantom FGR2 XV478. QRA(I) scramble for an Aberporth firing; my logbook tells me it was an 'AP2B'..

Join up with the photo chase and set up for the Sparrow firing. Flying the 'Noddy Guide' speed / height to the letter, but my nav (who was once a PPRuNer) couldn't find the Jindi', despite calls from the nav in the photochase. So we knock it off and set up for the Sidewinder back up shot. Fly the controller's headings and turn calls again with speed and height absolutely nailed like it's my IRT. See the Jindi', 'winder is growling happily as we await the controller's clearance to fire. We are given clearance and I call "Firing...", "Firing..." when the controller calls "STOP!!". So once again we knock it off, swearing at everyone and everything as the Jindi' driver has flown it out of the range danger area. We ask for another set up, only to be told that the Jindi' is low on fuel and we are to RTB. Poke off back to Wattisham feeling rather miffed as I know that I will be sure to get the blame for something which wasn't my fault! Fortunately my nav, being a nice honest chap, backs me up completely.

Last edited by BEagle; 15th Jan 2021 at 17:54.