PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Was MCAS needed?
View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2021, 00:03
George Glass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A B737 simulator instructor at a carrier I used to work for used to do an exercise when we had some time left over.
He’d position us at about 7nm on final to a lit runway , at night , in flight freeze , and then turn all the lights off on the forward panel.
When we were happy he’d let us go.
After a while he would stop the sim. and ask us how we thought it was going.
”Bit fast and a fraction low” I said.
”Correct. Continue”
After a normal landing we discussed what had been an interesting exercise.
It demonstrated several things;
1) How well thought out the Boeing cockpit is and how visual cues and muscle memory can get you a long way.
2) That old f@rts like myself know more than we think we do , just by virtue of years of experience.
3) What a confidence building exercise it was for new F/Os , particularly those coming from Airbus , as to what the aircraft can actually do.

Another exercise was to take the aircraft to 20,000 ft and turn off every unguarded switch on the overhead panel.
The aircraft still flies.

The point is that the B737 is an analogue aircraft with lots of nice to have , but not necessary , digital add ons.

Reading all that has been written about the MCAS debacle I now realise that the B737s time has passed , not because it is fundamentally unsafe , but because the world has moved on. I don’t think its going to far to say that the time of Piloting as a highly regarded , valued profession is over.
The accountants have won.
Airbus philosophy has won.
Time to retire the B737 ASAP.
Very sad.