PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KOREAN AIR expat pilots?
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2021, 20:20
Bindair Dundat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lee_apromise
You haven't heard the news that Korean Air is buying Asiana?

Once the merger is complete, zero chance of expats working for KAL. Too many surplus local pilots.
The current actions KE is taking don't support your statement. Much like many other carriers, KE could have easily gotten rid of the entire expat group over the course of the summer. They have chosen not to go that route. There are many contingencies that will play out as the two carriers merge and your observation is too simplistic to be categorically true. It may go that direction but I would not underestimate the desire of KE to not have all their eggs in one basket for their pilot employment group. There are many benefits to not having their pilots speak with one unified voice and these should appear obvious to anyone who has been in the industry long enough to understand how airline management works. I expect nationalistic tendencies to be much stronger as the world emerges from the pandemic but many of the reasons KE had expats in the first place have not changed measurably.
If you have other solid data to support your conclusion, I am sure many on here would be very interested to understand your very black and white determination.