PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future of Jetstar
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2021, 04:37
Kenny

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lookleft
Would anyone really want to work to the US airline system? Your pay and pension (superannuation) can be cut at anytime and the furlough provisions make our current standowns look like a short break. It doesn't really matter what they are getting paid lets look at their conditions under which they work. Personally I would not want to be facing a standown everytime the economy had a hiccup.
Not just yes but f#ck yes. My last full year with Virgin I got paid AU$150k as a 5th year 73 FO. My tax summary for 2019 after 4 years with United was for US$230k as a 75/76FO. Flew about 600’ish hours. That’s just the pay. The work rules that I work under are iron clad and protected by ALPA in a way VIPA and the Feds couldn’t even begin to match.

I had about AU$70k in a super with the 9% Virgin put in by the time I left. I have US$570k in my US 401k after 5 years with United. They put in 16% and I add 10%. The conditions weren't bad at Virgin but they’re far better at United.

Oh and when I go to training, it’s a pleasure. The complete opposite at Virgin. In fact, I’d never been screamed at in 15 years as a commercial pilot, in the sim, until I experienced Virgin. It was an eye opening experience.

Not a d!ck swinging exercise but you made a statement without knowing the facts.

Last edited by Kenny; 13th Jan 2021 at 05:10.