PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What if =>Covid under EASA
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2021, 15:16
Radgirl

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
To summarise:

first it tells AMEs to apply the same rules for examining candidates as we have been using in the UK for 9 months

second it says if the candidate has been on a ventilator he / she may have long term lung issues needing investigations (they list everything in my medical student textbook but dont indicate what when)

and check other systems to ensure they are OK (I thought that was what my AME did on every examination

and if the candidate is PCR positive call them unfit (although if positive you shouldnt be in the consulting room in the first place)

The reality is that covid can produce long term damage and any decrease in exercise tolerance needs investigation. We are increasingly worried patients who have been seriously ill may have hypoxic brain damage and others may have degenerative cognitive function as part of long covid. There are also concerns about long term heart damage and the NFL now requires a cardiology opinion and MRI on professional footballers I understand.

We do not understand long covid nor how to manage it. Research is ongoing but people feel the need to produce a policy, open a clinic and pretend to do something. What we need is research so we can understand the risk in pilots and maximise their ability to regain their medical