PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Valley & Missile Practice Camps
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2021, 13:58
EXFIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huge72
With 3 tours in Ireland and detachments before, I carried out many Wessex change overs. Some we flagged and went onto either Odiham or Benson and Aldergrove on return. and some we carried out the change at Valley. One such trip we arrived at Valley to discover that the cab coming from Benson was delayed. This gave us time to nip to the aircrew feeder for lunch. So there we were pilot and crewman eating quietly in the corner when a young student pilot decides that as an NCO I should leave as ''this feeder is for aircrew only'' My pilot kept stum as I explained to the young gentleman what the eagle on my rank slides signified. Oh Happy Days.
Down the Falklands in '84 I flew in a Lynx to Goose Green, on board were 4 squaddies led by a L/Cpl. The gunner gave them the brief not to exit the Lynx until he opened the side door after landing as it would be rotors running. On arrival at Goose, said L/Cpl and his 3 oppos exited without permission. As the L/Cpl was walking away from the Cab the Gunner tapped him on the shoulder, he turned round at which point the Gunner 'decked' him, he then got back in and we flew off! P.S. do you have dates/serials fro the NI changeover?