PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2021, 16:30
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
USS Gerald R Ford still experiencing problems - New York Post

The issues on the USS Gerald R. Ford “remain consistent” with those from previous years, according to a Pentagon assessment obtained by Bloomberg News.

The carriers’ issues include problems getting jets off the deck and issues with the landing systems.

“Poor or unknown reliability of new technology systems critical for flight operations,” including the carriers’ electromagnetic launch system worth $3.5 billion could affect its ability to generate sorties, Bloomberg reported, citing the assessment.

Just think - people who should know a little about System Integration have claimed repeatedly that if the UK had got F-35C or F/A-18 and gone for a conventional carrier we could have regenerated Carrier Strike faster. Really? Just like people who argued that Typhoon should have been navalised - NO!

I wonder if the new light aircraft carrier the US Navy is planning will inherit any features from the QEC? It looks like the Korean one will. Has the Bedford Array technology been sold to anyone - I thought the Americans were considering using it to improve landing accuracy and I expect it would be useful to French pilots landing aboard the CDG?

Without her normal complement of jets, the Ford can still act as a flagship, conduct ASW operations with the MH-60R, and possibly embark either F-35B or AV-8B. Even in an ASW role you would want to have jets to stop hostile aircraft from interfering with your helicopters or doing reconiasance and over the horizon targeting.

You do have to expect problems with so many new systems being fitted at the same time. I doubt that the media coverage is completely fair.

Incidentally, the RN/RAF F-35B Lightning will be equipped with SPEAR3 for use against ground and maritime targets - including enemy warships.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 10th Jan 2021 at 22:26. Reason: Add more info