PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2021, 07:05
Xeptu

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by machtuk
I think most here understand what Mach E.A. & I where getting at, after V1 it's unknown territory as far as stopping goes but often better to crash slowly than at a much higher speed.

Some years ago I was departing DN Rwy 29 in a small corporate job, balanced field length was Calc on an intersection dep we elected to go full length due the Twr saying there where multiple birds over the last half of the Rwy, Twr boys got the safety officer to shoot the sh1it out of them then we where cleared to go. As you can guess the bloody birds headed down towards us, I/we belted a few inc one smack bang on my windscreen (CM1) just as the F/O yelled V1 birds! I rejected now officially above V1, stood on the brakes, max Rev, pulled up with half the Rwy left, glad we took full length, glad I pulled the pin regardless of V1! I considered the dangers greater airborne than on the deck from possible distorted view due blood and guts, engine issues, U/C and brake issues, I was used to birds, U/S'ed an Airbus in CS one night, bloody buggers!
The V1 go case is for an engine failure or any other alert generated by the aircraft warning system. It does not include structural failure/damage or impact by an external source. In the case you have described on a 3,000 mtr runway is in my opinion the right decision. In the case of a shorter takeoff closer to balanced field length, I probably would go, then return to land and hope I made the right decision. The rejected takeoff at V1 remains the most poorly executed pilot manoeuvre.