PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2021, 08:35
kitchen bench

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mach E. A. and Machtuk - interesting. I'll see how I go on my next sim when I abort after V1 for a fire warning or engine failure.

( ................ or suffered an uncontained fire).
I seriously doubt, a few seconds after V1, that you have the slightest idea that a fire is uncontrollable/uncontained. That usually comes after you've completed the drills - and that doesn't happen soon after V1. In a B737, the second shot (if needed) isn't fired until 30 seconds after the first and after that is when you discover if the fire is controlled or not. Bit late to abort then!!!!!

Re the HS748: although the CAA thought the decision "sensible" they also commented "that there was no reason to abort the takeoff" (para 2.1.1) Had they continued and completed the drills correctly (including the LP cock), there is every chance the fire would have been extinguished notwithstanding the issue with the number 2 shot for that engine. The crew denied themselves the opportunity to carry out the drills in a timely manner. As it was, it was a happy ending but with a hull loss. It could have been worse - they had good fortune on their side.

Last edited by kitchen bench; 9th Jan 2021 at 08:51.