PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steepest, shortest, highest, most bent, overgrown airstrip you’ve ever seen.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 03:46
FL235

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to talk about loading, we need to go back a long time - Bobby Gibbes claimed nine labour line bois in an Auster.
To load a 206 - Put pilot in, add load until tail bumper hits the ground.
Remove last package.

A nasty trap could catch you out when the practice of making up multiple loads to be loaded by the cargo bois without supervision. C185 was lost out of Hagen when one load was a box of lead-head roofing nails. Quite small box, pilot thought no load had been put on, told bois to load next in line. He got airborne but didn’t make it down to the river before stalling. Descent to river height might have given him enough speed to stay airborne. A similar situation with a DC3 and roofing iron showed the capability of the Dak, he made it all the way to Hagen ( old strip i think) from Madang with a double load.

Yes, missionary bush pilot is a good effort, but look at his advantages. GPS, proper strip info, turbine power, glass cockpit, computer everything.

I still have the shirt-pocket size notebook I made up for strip info, for strips I didn’t know well. Very abbreviated. I gather ANO28 is just a memory now.