PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hornbeam Report
Thread: Hornbeam Report
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2021, 17:44
Akrotiri bad boy

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
In a previous incarnation I used to submit Hornbeam reports. I recall one encounter with a Russian "survey" ship which we found loitering on the Greenwich meridian 12 miles and one cable off the Sussex coast. As we steamed past we called in the vessel's name not thinking we'd ever hear anything back. But Northwood came back asking for photo's of a certain aspect of the vessel, turning about we headed towards the target and so began a danse macabre. We twisted and turned with Ivan but he would not let us get a good view of his sensitive parts. This went on for maybe 30 or 40 minutes before he broke the dance and steamed away south following the meridian into the Channel.
The Wash was another Hornbeam rich environment with coasters waiting for the tide and a pilot to take them up to Wisbech, Boston and Kings L. From the anchorage it was possible to watch the activity above the ranges at Donna Nook and Holbeach, perhaps they found it interesting? I guess they can't all be fans of Gothic church architecture?