PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air down at Essendon?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2021, 13:38
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, some would have been trained to remove hand at V1,
Can anyone tell me when this hand off the throttles at V1 technique originated? I suspect it was an Old Wives Tale that has got legs over time. When I learned to fly it was considered poor airmanship to take your hand off the throttles whenever hand flying any aircraft - single or multi-engine. It was when I first flew the Fokker F28 during my type rating with Ansett WA that I was rapped over the knuckles for daring to have one hand on the thrust levers during VR and early climb.

When I had the temerity to ask my instructor why did I need to remove my hand of the throttles at V1 I was told it was an airline SOP. "But why?" I asked. I was told it was a psychological thing to prevent the pilot from closing the throttles in fright if an engine failed after lift-off. That was when I realised it was just another OWT. Yet another explanation given to me by an airline check captain was that a one handed rotation (with one hand on the throttles) could cause one wing to lower at VR becuse of the unequal pull on one side of the control wheel as the pilot pulled back on the wheel. I thought he was pulling my leg unil I realised he was serious.

Later I checked the flight crew training manual for the Boeing 737. Nowhere did it recommend the pilot take his hand from the thrust levers at V1 during takeoff. I can only assume that what was once some management pilot's personal opinion has spread around the aviation world like a pandemic and has become yet another of those Old Wives tales that permeate the flying game. In time Old Wives Tales transmogrify into Aviation Lore and bcome God's gospel truth