PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Absolute minimum temperature?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 21:36
Capt Quentin McHale

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave Therhino,

With regards to BA38, I'm not totally convinced of the results of the investigation, extensive as it was. My point being, after having read the final report, with all that was done throughout the investigation I believe one important thing was omitted. That being undercowl "heat soak".

With the aircraft flying for 12 plus hours all engine components are subject to heat soak and with the cowls closed the surrounding undercowl environment will be rather warm and well and truely above room temperature. Therefore the FOHE casing and components should be warmed not only by the hot oil passing through the internals of the FOHE but also from the surrounding heat soak. With the combination of heat soak, hot oil and cold fuel over time, the FOHE should reach a " happy medium" temperature wise and this temp IMHO would be above freezing. This was not done in the investigation process.

From experience from being around an engine when an aircraft has arrived on chocks and the cowls immediately opened, things are well and truely warm to touch and some components too hot to touch. Open to correction, but food for thought.....

Rgds McHale.

Last edited by Capt Quentin McHale; 3rd Jan 2021 at 22:15.