PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Live The Heron
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2021, 01:09
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Some rather 'quaint' British advice there, probably written by a boffin who never flew it in serious crosswinds onto short runways. I have yet to fly ANY aeroplane that required adding power to control the landing rollout if the proper landing technique was made - and that includes big taildraggers like the DC3.

On the contrary, the crosswind landing advice was published in the Connellan Airways Operations Manual a copy of which was held in the former DCA Head Office at 188 Queen St. There were other strange words of advice in the same manual one of which included how to draw a mud-map in flight. The crosswind landing advice of kicking rudders, bursts of outboard engine and various other gems of information could only have been written by the same author maybe Ed Connellan himself as much of it was bizarre and personal opinion rather than from the manufacturer. Maybe the CAHS museum at Essendon fields have a copy of that Ops manual. I'll have a look.

On rare occasions I was forced to apply full rudder augmented by a burst of outboard engine power in the Lincoln to straighten up a swing caused by a 200 hour newly qualified RAAF pilot whose first multi-engine aircraft was the Lincoln a 30,000 kg four engine tail-dragger. Crosswind landings, particularly at night, where the long nose of the Lincoln blocked the pilots view of the runway lights could be interesting. Useless in a Dakota though due lack of moment arm with two engines.