PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Long Live The Heron
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2020, 21:47
By George

Received 73 Likes on 18 Posts
Flew Herons with Connair in 1979 based in Darwin. Very Pommy aeroplane, beautiful handling with well balanced flight controls but the usual British cockpit design. "Now where could we hide the cross-feed selector so the pilots can't see or reach it"? The cockpit door looked like a coffin lid, curved wide at the top and narrow squared off at the bottom. Pneumatic brakes and four spring-loaded switches to keep the props in sync via four blue lights. Every speed or pitch change and you had to start again. Memory fading, and my pilot notes went to the local tip years ago, but I think landing flap was 60 degrees. Steep nose down approach as if you were going to attack the earth. All flight controls, rag of course. The radios and navigational equipment were all kept in the nose. This compartment leaked like a sieve and had to be heavily masked with speed tape. Some funny stories in my memory linked to the Heron. One crew with a load of unruly 'locals' tied a tape around a teddy bear and released it out of the storm window. The slipstream took it along the window line which had the desired effect of turning the rabble into mice, facing straight ahead with wide eyes. Another crew accepted an invitation to visit town, parked the brakes but didn't secure the rudder. Waving slowly in the breeze, bled off the air and the aeroplane rolled off the apron. There were some odd performance issues as well, if you wanted more range and endurance you could achieve this by shutting down an engine. Nice to fly but a cockpit designed by a madman.