PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RACNSW in 'De Good Ole Days'....
View Single Post
Old 25th Dec 2020, 18:14
nreese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A BIll Lord story - Bill's (ex) wife Barbara was one of my mother's best friends and a bridesmaid at my parents' wedding. My father was a RAAF / QANTAS pilot. I was learning to fly at Kingsford Smith Aviation at Bankstown in 1990. I was keen for my father to go for a fly with me, but he would only do so once I had my twin endorsement (after all, he had four engines!!). With my newly minted endorsement on a B76 Duchess, my father readily agreed to go for a 'check ride' (him checking me). We arrived at Bankstown and were walking down to the KSA hangar and I asked my father if he had ever flown at Bankstown. He said "Ahh, about 20 years ago with Bill Lord". He then glanced across the apron and said "There he is now! Bill!! Bill!!", and my father trotted off to have a quick catch up with Bill Lord. Sadly, Bill was killed in VH-CAG at Tocumwal not long after. My father later said he shouldn't have been flying as he was "deaf and blind", but the CAA needed him as he was so experienced ... I'm sure with Bill's experience he could have flown by brail!

Last edited by nreese; 25th Dec 2020 at 18:39.