PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your Scariest Flight ?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Dec 2020, 15:54
10 DME ARC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a young lad in the late 70's I would hang around my local airfield, EGNU Usworth now Nissan UK, and do any old job in return for a flight! One warm Sunday afternoon me and a friend washed and polished a fairly new PA-28 Turbo Arrow 3 with the promise of a flight when the owner returned later in the afternoon. We waited and waited but he turned up early evening with a business contact who he wanted to drop at the old Doncaster airfield, a grass field near the race track.
My friend and I jumped in the back and off we went! On the flight south the sun started to go down and the pilot turned and advised 'us' in the back that the airfield had no lights but he had arranged with the CFI to line cars up each side of the runway! This happened and we safely landed and dropped the businessman, I jumped out of the back and sat in the RH front seat and we taxied out. As we lined up we noticed two of the cars had gone so just one either side! But the pilot was happy and full power set and we rolled, we soon passed the cars and all looked well with only the landing lights to show us the runway. Just before rotation the grass in front went long and we went off the side of the runway! The pilot elected to continue even though the speed had dropped! We eventually got airborne stall warning screaming as the edge of the airfield approached!! We cleared some houses by 'not a lot' and eventually picked up speed to stop the noise!
The things you do as a young flying mad lad!!