PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline job opening for foreign nationals in canada
Old 21st Dec 2020, 17:00
Mostly Harmless

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Right now, there are a lot of unemployed pilots because of Covid... same as everywhere else around the world.

No one in Canada goes from flight school to airline. It doesn't work that way here. You have to get a job somewhere and build experience because there is a surplus of pilots here and Covid has exasperated this situation.

First thing you would need is the legal right to work here. You will have to look at the immigration pages of the Canadian government before you do anything else. Should you have the right to work here, then feel free to give it a try, but perhaps waiting until things get better might be wise.

As I said, you will not get a job with an airline right out of flight school, it just doesn't happen. We only have two major airlines in the country and both have laid off pilots waiting to get their jobs back. Canada does offer unique flying experiences where one can fly a lot of light aircraft in challenging and sometimes life threatening conditions into very remote areas. Depending on what the economy looks like a year or two from now, you may be working a dock or ramp somewhere hoping to get into an airplane for anywhere from a month to a couple of years... or the economy breaks loose and you get a job flying right away. There's just no predicting anything right now.

However, were I to pull out my crystal ball, I would predict that you want to avoid Canada as we are a dying country held under water until there's no signs of life left by our current government. Our current government has decided we need to solve the worlds global warming issue single highhandedly by taxation. They are putting some rather draconian carbon taxes into play, and planning to grow those taxes by 500% in the next 9 years. That will raise the price of everything while stopping anyone from investing any money into this country. As you know, an airline's second greatest operating cost is fuel and this will only compound that cost exponentially. I believe this will cripple the transportation industry and along with it, all other industries in this country.

Best of luck with your decision.

Last edited by Mostly Harmless; 22nd Dec 2020 at 20:37.