PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Quarantine for domestic crew?
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2020, 20:51
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dartman2
...if an Australian based crew member is exposed to the virus whilst outside the country...
The various departments of health have looked at the procedures in place for Australian crew heading overseas and have determined that the likelihood of this occurring is very, very low. Certainly significantly lower than for a crew member who lives in the overseas community. Not so low as to be impossible which is why they allow home isolation but low enough that the isolation at home is considered to be good risk mitigation.

Sure, IF a crew member picks up Covid overseas then yes, it’s likely to enter the home... which is why you find Aussie crew members being very diligent when overseas about hand sanitisation and isolating in hotel rooms. I’ve no desire to pass Covid to my family and/or be Patient Zero for a new outbreak in my area. Keep in mind we’ve had crew members doing this home isolation thing since May with no virus jumping the fence yet.

There certainly is some mind bending logic in the current rules. Eg having operated back internationally I can’t operate a domestic passenger flight but I can operate a domestic freighter and then passenger back to my home port. SYD-MEL-SYD with pax.... bad. SYD-MEL with freight and then pax back to SYD.... good.

Originally Posted by dartman2
Given all the rumors (and that is all they are at this stage) that the "Avalon Cluster" was started by a returned crew member...
Really? I’ve not heard that said directly. I’m hearing it was a rich couple who were exempted to self isolate at home for health reasons and subsequently didn’t.

Oh, and what is your solution dartman? Aussie crew in permanent hotel quarantine for months at a time? Already we’ve got crew who have endured north of four months of home isolation. Now you’re going to stick them into a hotel for that duration?