PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eight B787 pulled from service over structural issues
Old 19th Dec 2020, 23:54
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, I get that SC's are routine or mostly so in context of rapidly advancing technologies and engineering techniques.

What still seems like a question worth addressing (and I'll say "why is it worth..." in a moment) is whether the SC for the batteries turned out so badly that - in hindsight yes, admittedly - some other solution should have been explored. There have been a good number of posters' volleys on various threads about the necessity of engineers to overrule, or try to overrule, the pinhead accountancy managerial cadres. Or is this component of a new type of aircraft just too big an item for that professional obligation of the engineering community to address at the level of certification?

The reason I am (and I hope not impolitely) pointing back to the question is that, Congress even before the new one is seated, and certainly in the next Congress opening in early Jan next year, is going to revisit FAA structure and process. Sensing that it's easy enough to wear out an SLF/atty welcome, all I'll say here is that many a legislative project ends up doing more actual harm than good, or gives the false appearance of progress when there isn't any progress in fact, and so problems grow worse. I don't work on the Hill but it's part of something...something.