PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B.O.A.C. Geoffrey Hargreaves. 1970's
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2020, 09:17
Gordomac

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Condor: Luvley post. Enjoying the drift and mods might shuffle us over to "Routes & Nostalgia" but a quick response ;

I thought I was the only one getting no legs in NE but all my mates were in the same boat.Most of the Skippers were long in the tooth and overnight, up came us cadets , early twenties, straight out of Oxford or Carlisle and into RHS. The old boilers were very reluctant to give away handling. Transfer to T1E and the same applied. Pure p2 but rarely got a leg. Opposite side of the curve was a handful of really good guys who gave away leg for leg. We were all busting to fly with that lot !

Both of us saved from Iran and ,like you, I later went in & out of Mehrabad in the 76's.. Unlike my NE peers, I always gave leg for leg and in going into Tehran I also gave that leg away telling my colleagues that I would not be monitoring very well as I would be looking out of the window, tearfully muttering things like ;"Oooooh, there's my old school - and ooooooh, used to live just off that street"! All the Arab F/O's were top draw and enjoyed giving me the best window seat view in the world.

Sorry, didn't know Hargreaves either. He wouldn't have minded the drift though.