PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How dangerous is a single runway, major airport?
Old 18th Dec 2020, 20:20
a5in_the_sim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cough
One aspect that's advantageous when you've got multiple non intersecting runways is when you have some sort of destructive emergency on departure, say uncontained engine failure. Having left a trail of parts over the departure runway you can of course simply reland on the other runway. Now if it's truly a single runway airport, of course you can get it all picked up (once the hot parts are cool enough) and then you can land back. But there is a case if you've GOT to reland ASAP then multi runways are better.
True but not significantly. Any parts trail would likely be quite far down the runway, commencing close to the point at which V1 was achieved on departure; otherwise I would have stopped. Personally I wouldn’t be at all discouraged from landing back on that runway if my aircraft was crippled, particularly if it was a time critical scenario. I would be confident of encountering that debris at a fairly low speed on landing.

It’s certainly the case that “safety” is becoming an overused reason for essentially commercial decisions. Conversely “safety” is conveniently forgotten when it obstructs commercial gain.

Weak regulation and oversight has shockingly emboldened the aviation industry.