PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Dad was conscripted labor at Messerschmit, curious ...
Old 17th Dec 2020, 18:33
FakePilot

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
My Dad was conscripted labor at Messerschmit, curious ...

Growing up my Dad (now deceased) told me how as a young Ukrainian he was conscripted to work at Messerschmitt. He would have been about 16-18 at the time. His job was to put wires in the wings for the machine guns.
Ok cool story. The quotes are as close as I can remember.

But recently I read a book on the Me 163. A bunch of his talking points came back:
- He was driven by "the factory owner/supervisor" past a parked aircraft "that had a big hole for an engine" surrounded by "a circle of angry looking soldiers". He immediately identified the Me 163 from aircraft photo book.
- He was taken at least twice by "the factory owner/supervisor" to other plants to observe.
- He experience at least to plant bombings.
- "I sat under the grapes and ate them while the factory was bombed" "I saw the face of the pilot clearly in the cockpit as the plane zoomed over a hay bale (in route to the factory)"
- "The owner/supervisor was glancing at his watch and insistant that they leave right now" Within minutes the facility was bombed.

So. Some interesting data points. Knowing my father he could befriend just about anyone. I *think* he said whoever this person was took a liking to him - I'd believe that.
What do any of you make of it? The only reason I brought it up now is "Who was driving my father pass a parked Me163?" This wasn't like driving past a random Me109 in some field. I didn't realize how limited the Me 163 deployment.

Any thoughts or experts on the topic appreciated. I do have his 3rd Reich passport still, in case there would be information on there.