PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF recruitment statistics
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2020, 07:02
Bob Viking

Received 521 Likes on 145 Posts
Beardy

In my view the most valuable bit of research in this field would be if someone were to ask the minority groups or demographics if it bothers them that they are under-represented.

After all, we the people seem to feel that diversity is vital but if the targeted groups don’t care that there aren’t many BAME members of the Armed Forces, for example, or enough female aircraft mechanics then is it worth the effort?

As I’ve said previously, as long as people know there is equality of opportunity does it really matter what the statistics say?

If we take it to the extremes and look at UKSF (assuming that one day the tokenism opened up to women) there are very few men that are capable of making the grade. Let’s say 1:10,000. There are likely fewer women that could make the grade, let’s say 1:100,000 (made up numbers).

Taking my invented numbers it shows that not only are there few people capable of certain roles but you have to identify and attract those select few.

The UKSF doesn’t need to be 50:50 men and women. But everyone needs to know that (should UKSF be opened up to women) men and women are equally welcome.

I wish we could have a government with the balls to stand up to the media to be honest. After all it is their focus on diversity targets and equal opportunities that terrifies the government.

If the government could just say they are committed to offering roles to any suitable candidate regardless of gender or ethnicity and then ignore the interminable figures then maybe we could all find something else to worry about.

I honestly think that until we can stop chasing such targets any BAME or female FJ pilot (for example) or Chief Executive is always going to be looked on by certain members of society as a diversity quota filler. If I were that individual I’d hate to think my hard work could be trivialised in such a manner.

As a random other example, in 2020 over 80% of players in the NBA (basketball) are black. Has anybody bothered to start a campaign for diversity? Or is it possible that those players are there because they were the best players? Or maybe because not many white boys want to be NBA players. Or maybe African American males are taller on average and therefore better suited (although Google the name Mugsy Bogues to see why this is not a prerequisite) to basketball.

This whole topic is quite fascinating and the debate could go on forever. History could have been very different, for example, if the Vietnam draft or WW2 conscription had been for all genders. It would have been very fair but would it have been effective?

Anyway, enough from me.

BV