PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF recruitment statistics
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2020, 03:16
Bob Viking

Received 513 Likes on 144 Posts
Equality of Opportunity

I think large organisations are absolutely correct to attempt to target all demographics. I do, however, worry that overtly targeted recruitment will alienate the core groups who fill the rank and file.

For instance, Army recruitment adverts aimed at women are a great idea but if you disenfranchise the young males who traditionally look to the Army you will have a major problem on your hands.

The bottom line, in my humble opinion, is that an organisation should just be able to prove that it offers equality of opportunity. It should also show that it has made every effort to target recruitment at a wide variety (yes, even white males!) of demographics.

If that organisation is then seen to lack diversity they can at least prove that they put in the required effort. If there are then not enough women/trans/black/Asian/Sikh/Muslim etc then why should these numbers be used as a stick to beat an organisation with?

I 100% agree that the Armed Forces should recruit from all walks of life and that everyone should receive fair treatment once they join.

I just don’t think that numerical targets are the way to achieve that.

I have two sons and a daughter (they are all white). If in future my daughter, for instance, were to make it as a FJ pilot I would hate for people to look at her and say she only got there because she’s female. If she were to achieve that it should be on merit alone.

That is the flip side of the whole argument. If you positively discriminate then those recipients will forever be tainted and that is grossly unfair as well.

With all of the above in mind I thank my lucky stars I am not in charge and not responsible for such policies and decisions. It must be an absolutely thankless task.

BV

Last edited by Bob Viking; 17th Dec 2020 at 05:29.