PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukrainian Aircraft down in Iran
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2020, 01:55
WillowRun 6-3

Location: Within AM radio broadcast range of downtown Chicago
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something like, for domestic political consumption

Two things about publication of this report. Given the fact the aviation-related aspects of the incident were almost entirely (if not entirely in fact) already known, and the additional fact the IRG's command echelons and those of other command authorities in their country certainly are not going to participate in a publicly accessible inquiry, does the report still serve any purpose? (Both of the givens I've referenced, as noted in previous posts.)

The litigation options for victims' families probably are quite limited, for a number of reasons, in any effort to gain recourse for the loss of loved ones. So a report such as this provides some substitute sense of recourse - quite limited but better than nothing. So not exactly for mere political stances, but in a similar ballpark.

Maybe it's reading too much into the notion of Montreal's status as the global capital of international civil aviation but when an incident like this strikes at Canadian senses and sensibilities, maybe the subtext (and unspoken premise) is that despite good intentions driving prior efforts to improve operators' decisions about traversing conflict zones, some more robust approach is worth a try. Despite also the litany of prior incidents which suggests that nothing better can be done. . . . . . .

And while this SLF's familiarization with aviation law generally and such shoot-down incidents specifically still is "in work" - every time I read a litany like the ones above there's an entry I hadn't read of before. (Yeah, older lawyers think about curriculum reform as a means of trying to accomplish something, at least, after a mostly wasted existence adding up billable hours.)

[Post-script: another rip through the report compels this addition if not correction - the report certainly describes, in some detail, the steps taken in the context of coping with the tragic incident and mounting some semblance of the necessary response despite enormous hurdles. Secondly, the report while not contending that certain diplomatic and related efforts would greatly reduce (or prevent) incidents of this type, does document initiatives launched by Canadian government offices to address the problem area (Safer Skies Strategy, and the International Coordination and Response Group). I suppose cynicism arrives way too easily these days.... instead of compiling this report - and undertaking the many and varied actions it describes - what actions would detractors have had the Government of Canada take in lieu of what it has done?]

Last edited by WillowRun 6-3; 17th Dec 2020 at 02:33.