PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New pilot that needs advice/help (HK based)
Old 16th Dec 2020, 03:56
FPmr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New pilot that needs advice/help (HK based)

(Unsure if i'm in the correct forum)

Need the collective wisdom of the community.

Pre-COVID I had the intention of joining CX through the second officer program which required a valid CPL MEIR with 250 experience etc. I am currently finishing these requirements in the USA, under the FAA.

With the COVID situation, s**t has hit the fan and the prospects of applying or finding a job is next to nil.

It’s clear to me I won’t be able to apply for at least a year(s), but I want to be productive. However I feel as if I’ve shot myself in the foot. Research has concluded that EASA is more widely accepted then the FAA. If I had trained for an EASA license, I would have already done the EASA ATPL (frozen) which only requires 250hrs, whereas FAA I believe doesn’t do frozen ATPL, I haven’t asked, but I assume HKCAD does not do Frozen ATPL either.

I am a HK resident, but also hold a British passport so it makes sense to expand my options by applying for the EASA and acquiring the frozen ATPL. When things blow over try to apply where I can. This option however costs money, more money then I’d hope to spend trying to achieve this dream.

Or go find a job, any job that involves flying and build up to 1500hrs and get an FAA ATPL.

Or just wait.

Any information I have wrong let me know, but more importantly any advice you can give me and to anyone else in a similar situation would be much appreciated.