PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USAF ANG F-16 Missing in Michigan
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2020, 16:29
OK465

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trouble is, as long as a majority of group and squadron commanders cross their fingers and hope that their units escape mishap for a couple of years instead of....
A true statement, however....

I was in five different ANG/USAFR fighter units to the tune of 5800 hours and saw the entire spectrum of command styles, including the fingers crossed style. Over that 20+ years I only saw one fatal accident in any unit, one it happens with a very hands on command structure. The accident ultimately was attributable to Air Traffic Control during a four-ship breakup for individual approaches in the wx in any event, not command.

I preferred the less hands-on, less invasive command style, and I used that also, but I would have probably done things the way I wanted to and felt I needed to regardless of command style in place, and answered for it if required. Single-seat survival is a somewhat personal thing that involves being cognizant of your limitations at any given time. The best advice I ever got regarding this was from an crusty old F-100 dude, 'always leave yourself an out'.

edit:
I'm also not a fan of the USAF's operational risk management system, which applies a tick-box approach to sortie content
Ditto.