PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laser Eye Surgery (again, sorry)
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2020, 13:38
Ken Scott

Received 144 Likes on 28 Posts
I wore CFS for many years as I’m slightly short-sighted before discovering the joys of contact lenses. I did speak to a doctor regarding corrective surgery but he said that was likely to make me long-sighted as I got older so I’d simply be changing one form of correction for another.

Contacts worked well until I started to need reading glasses for near vision when wearing them. One night whilst flying on NVGs with the reading glasses perched on the end of my nose under them in order to read the map & TAPs I had a revelation as to how ridiculous this all was and started to wear the varifocals I’d been issued with & not worn up to then.

Once I was used to them it was a big improvement, only one thing required and no putting them on & taking them off in flight. Their main disadvantage is having to look through the right part of the lens for the required correction, ie down for close & top for distance. Looking at the top panel I had to look over them otherwise it was fuzzy through the glasses & wearing an oxy mask could push them up slightly so that you are looking through a near vision part when you’re trying to look at distance. So it does need some tinkering to get right!

Or just accept that your eyes going is an inevitable part of getting old & leave the real flying to the youngsters!! I’ve gone day VFR with no top panel & that makes it much simpler!