PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sydney-Canberra proposed Twin-Otter floatplane service
Old 8th Dec 2020, 18:28
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Vag and Morno, I fail to understand how you got the idea that I want such a service to fail???? I very much want to see it succeed! What my post attempted to do was catalogue some of the barriers to getting such a service in place.

The company is going to need a PR strategy to ensure that all the barriers, including the ones I've mentioned, are surmounted. If they fail to do that, they may succeed technically but lose the battle.

For example the "Green" argument needs to be addressed e.g No need for expensive infrastructure and very small environmental footprint. Minimises road use and automotive greenhouse gas emission, etc., etc.

I would very much like to see far more use made of floatplanes for short haul as well as tourism. My mate floatplane pilot "Rocket Rod" would agree. They are one of my favourite modes of transport. Last float trip was a caravan from Hanoi to Halong Bay which saves about three hours on the road.