PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unusual attitudes
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2020, 09:48
Rivet gun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David J Pilkington
I like the way the FAA does things with Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3B) Chapter 4 "Maintaining Aircraft Control: Upset Prevention and Recovery Training" which includes this discussion "Unusual Attitudes Versus Upsets" with one suite of recovery templates, nothing to confuse applicants or examiners.
Thanks for this link. It seems mostly consistent with EASA UPRT except for the spiral dive recovery template. In the spiral dive recovery template the first action is reduce power to idle. This directly contradicts GM1 FCL.745.A (g) (3) (E) which requires to accept the priority of rolling to wings level first, before reducing power and before pulling. It also contradicts the nose low recovery templates in the AUPRTA and FAA AC120-111. It is this kind of contradiction which confuses applicants and examiners.

I appreciate that jet transports with low thrust line under wing engines may need different power handling in a nose high low speed situation, but I don't understand why spiral dive recovery should not be the same for all fixed wing aircraft.

Edit: in a fixed pitch prop SEP there is the engine over speed risk to consider.

Last edited by Rivet gun; 6th Dec 2020 at 10:42.